Project DetailsRelated Products
Heavy Steam is a steampunk themed strategy and resource management game that uses mechs called steam titans in miniature based combat! Set in a steampunk universe, Heavy Steam is a game about piloting a giant mechanical humanoid war machine of doom. As a pilot you use the steam titan’s resources to strategically complete scenario objectives. More often than not it’s to defeat your opponent, but you’ve never shied away from a fight, have you?
- In Heavy Steam you play the role of a pilot controlling your steam titian’s systems from the command center inside its head.
- Fully customize your steam titan: choose a robot, recruit your pilot, then customize with weapons of your choice.
- Plan ahead if you want to power your legs, weapons or other systems.
- The battle board is abstracted with easy to master combat.
- Event cards, terrain cards and other cards keep the game fresh and new every time you play.
- Game play is for 2-4 players.
Dice Tower Preview VideoVideo Interview at Pax East - The B Team Podcast ---> Preview the Draft Rulebook! Heavy Steam is a game about using your resources wisely to strategically attack your opponent. Set in a steampunk universe, your job is to decide where to utilize your energy, a compound called “zenjin” more commonly referred to as steam rock or steam for short, in your...well…. steam titan. Steam titans are giant war machines manned by talented pilots who are part strategists, part engineers, and part navigators. They also happen to be the rock stars of their day. Using your pilot’s special abilities, as well as cards that modify your weapons and the terrain, you decide whether to power up your weapons, bolster your defenses or transfer steam to your legs in order to move. Phases allow you to move your steam titan, attack the enemy, manage your energy, purchase cards, and keep your pressure from reaching the critical stages. Because the flow of steam takes time, you must think several turns ahead while also reacting immediately to enemy attack. Players roll one set of dice for attack and a different unique set for defense. Since you are creating a campaign against your opponent, and reacting to their attack it’s best to plan ahead, but prepare a backup plan!
Game SetupWhen starting a game of Heavy Steam, the player will be able to choose whether they are a stalwart member of the UK Alliance or the calculating C.E.T. (Central Europe Trust). Once a player makes their choice they pick one of the light or heavy steam titans and the titan board to match. The steam titan board tells the player how much steam they begin with, and where to place the steam for a powered up steam titan to begin gameplay. Players select a pilot, one of the brave men and women who have the considerable skills and know-how to maneuver these giant warmachines. Pilots give some specialized bonuses, so players should note what each pilot can do.
MoveIn the first phase of the game each player determines whether or not they will maneuver their steam titan into a deadly foray or strategically retreat. In Heavy Steam the focus of the game is on managing your steam, thus movement is simplified to forward and backward. The closer you are to your opponent, the more effective your weapons. Movement also allows you to play a terrain card that can bolster your defenses or make movement less costly. Each steam titan must expend steam to move. Of course, the bigger they are the more substantial the energy cost.
CombatHopefully you are prepared for a rousing session of military fisticuffs! In the combat phase, starting with the side that has initiative, a steam titan, infantry, or mobile cannon may attack the opposing side. Teams alternate who is attacking so that every attack comes from an alternating side until both sides deem themselves finished. Of course, if one side has more weapons powered up they will be able to attack more often in the phase than their opponents. Once you have determined whom to attack, the simple to learn combat system keeps the gamers scrambling to mitigate damage control!
Steam AllocationNow that each player has finished a rousing phase of bashing each other to smithereens, each player must redistribute their power supply. Each steam titan is different in regards to how much power it can hold. However, the energy must all flow from the central core out to the extremities, one section at a time. This means that a freshly exhausted weapon may not be able to fire again on the next round, or that a damaged shield may take priority over recharging said weapon. The steam titan boards are laid out to show how the flow of energy is distributed as well as how much energy you may have from your power reserves to recharge at a time. Of course you can try and push it through faster, wartime tactics make for hard decisions sometimes, but this comes at a cost of potentially overloading your system, so beware!
Battle Card AcquisitionDo you have steam in your head? If your command station is powered up, you may now use that energy to purchase additional cards. Remember, cards can give any number of bonuses from new terrain, more infantry or mobile cannons, bonuses during combat or engineering help in the form of removing damage cubes. A player may also choose to retain that energy to keep initiative in the next round, or reroll your hit location die during a successful attack in combat.
Release PressureNow you may move some of the expended energy from the boiler pressure back into your power reserve. If it was an active combat round, you should have quite a bit, but only the allotted amount may be moved…that is, unless you have a card to aid you or planned ahead and use your steam vent! Once this happens, the phases begin anew. With good planning and a crafty eye toward your opponent, you have come out ahead and still have enough steam to carry you through another round of battle! The game ends when one brave steam titan is destroyed, thus ending the battle. Below is a preliminary list of what comes in the box. The box will be designed with a nice tray to hold all the components and miniatures.
- Retail box: 15” x 12” x 3”
- Game board: 14.9” x 18.3”
- Player boards: 4 double sided player board - each measuring 13” x 10.25”
- 300 - 8mm cubes
- Cards: 24 Weapon Cards, 55 Battle Cards and 12 Pilot Cards.
- Dice: 8 blue, 8 red - *upgradeable to custom dice with a stretch goal.
- Dice: 2 standard black dice.
- 1 Heavy, 2 Light, UK Alliance steam titans miniatures.
- 1 Heavy, 2 Light C.E.T ( Central European Trust) steam titans miniatures.
- 4 Mobile Armor and 6 Infantry UK Alliance miniatures *Upgradeable to unique models with Stretch Goals.
- 4 Mobile Armor and 6 Infantry C.E.T miniatures *Upgradeable to unique models with Stretch Goals.
- Terrain effects and turn order Tokens
- Rule book
- Early-Adopter Discount: Because we admire our backers and wish to show our appreciation, Heavy Steam is being offered on Kickstarter at $75 but has an expected MSRP of $85.
- Limited Availability: certain rewards will only have a limited number of copies based on the final pledge totals.
- We Listen: We treat backers as collaborators. Your contribution extends to aiding us in game creation because we value your input. We promptly and transparently address all questions and concerns and consider ourselves lucky to have so many people striving to make the game the best it can be.
- Because We Need You: We've covered most of the cost of graphic design and art for Heavy Steam, but we can’t manufacture and ship the game without your support.
Stretch Goal List:Exclusive Promo Cards: Below are several ways to obtain extra cards with each copy of Heavy Steam simply by helping to spread the word. These card will be limited edition. Exclusive Zpocalypse promo cards - obtained by clicking the share button under the video at the top of this page.
- # Facebook Shares:500 -- Card #1 --->> UNLOCKED <<---
- # Facebook Shares:700 -- Card #2 --->> UNLOCKED <<---
- # Facebook Shares:900 -- Card #3 --->> UNLOCKED <<---
- # Facebook Shares:1,100 -- Card #4
- # Bgg Fans: 100 -- Heavy Steam event promo card #1 --->> UNLOCKED <<---
- # Bgg Fans: 175 -- Heavy Steam event promo card #2
- # Bgg Fans: 250 -- Heavy Steam event promo card #3
- # Bgg Fans: 225 -- Heavy Steam event promo card #4
- 70k - Custom Cubes - We are starting with generic plastic cubes. However, we would like to customize the cubes to multi-colored urea, the same material we used for our custom Ninja Dice. The custom cubes made from dice material would better fit with the art and design of the game, such as a smokey swirl for the steam or a marbled black and brown for damage.
- 85k - Double-sided Battle Board - In keeping with the theme of the game where war happens all over the mainland of Europe, this level will add an urban battle board on the opposite side of the countryside board.
- 100k - Bonus Battle Deck - Each engagement in war is affected by the surrounding condition. This city deck would add 50 more cards filled with new terrain for your steam titan to hide in, new tactics to enhance your stratagem, and even new city-specific event cards. These offer new strategies to master.
- 115k - Custom Dice - upgrade dice from generic red and blue to custom dice that show hits, critical hits, and defensive blocks.
- 130k - Detachable Arms and New Weapon Cards - This would allow you to customize your steam titan, both the board and the miniatures, for personal fighting style.
Products created either in part, or because of the launch of this project
*Products for this project may not yet be available if none are currently shown.