This is Folklore, an adventure board game like you’ve never seen before with over 5 years of development. Play one of 6 characters in a 1-5 player game that requires no game master. It is set in our own past, where characters acquire Lore as they face and defeat the malign and supernatural forces known as Afflictions. Explore the countryside amidst winding mountain passes and overgrown trails…down the halls of opulent manors and ancient castles and through dark and deep places, you are on a quest to uncover the Lore which binds the evils to our world and lets them pass unchallenged. You play one whose destiny is linked to hunting down those things which brought terror to our people, those things which led them to change their culture, spread salt on their doorsteps and hang garlic in their windowsills. Folklore: the Affliction is a highly immersive board game of epic scale and expandability. Multi-layer Character development and player interaction spearheads this collaborative ongoing adventure in a quest to drive the darkness back into the hell from which it came.
Travel the countryside of the old world. Move from towns and farms to objective locations in your hunt for Lore and your quest for liberation of the people from the plagues that haunt them. Gather up your Lore to acquire abilities and to power artifacts long forgotten. Travel to places in search of clues and combat your enemies in a struggle for the safety of man. Move into adventure locations and use your miniature to traverse the boards to explore, uncover mystery and stake a sleeping vampire in its coffin!
Intense story telling and combat action that pits you against your most frightening foes with strategy building both on and off the battlefield , resource management, power consumption and item creation that makes Folklore: the Affliction an experience you wont forget. You’ve never seen it like this…you’ve never played it like this—with top notch story design, attention to detail, art that brings you into the adventure and into your character. We haven’t spared any expense over the past 5 years on design and playtesting to bring you the game we always wanted to play. This is a game made by lifelong gamers who love the best of RPGs and adventure board games as well as strategy and player interaction. Continue to visit our website as the Kickstarter funds for source material and even more downloadable content as well as updates and a place to post your home-grown adventures, items and creatures for others to play with. We encourage fan creativity and would love to see your imaginations build the world of Folklore. Look for a contest to help us build our world with your ideas.
Each character has their own skills and sets of unique abilities to acquire and master in their rise towards dominance in the war against evil. Each has a distinctive depth and feel with nearly 100 abilities and endless re-playability. Folklore is as much about character development, storyline and immersion as it is exploration and combat. Engage in making your character more alive than any other board game as your choices guide your destiny and the path of your companions.
Each Affliction is known by name and is a paragon of power and a threat to the countryside. Every adventure focuses around the blight caused by types of Afflictions whether they be Mortal, Shapeshifter, Undead, Spirit, Occultist, Demonic or Nature foes. Many creatures plague the people and the land, those whose strengths are unique among them are called Afflictions.
One of things that makes Folklore:The Affliction unique is the storytelling element that weaves the game together. Decisions made by the players change the story and fork the destiny of the outcomes in each adventure. This Intense story telling and combat action pits you against your most frightening foes with strategy building both on and off the battlefield, resource management, power consumption and item creation. Will you accept this quest to purge evil from this land?
- Cooperative play for 1-5 players: Adventure through a dark fantasy/horror role playing environment that will require working together to use the best group strategy for defeating the Afflictions and earning the best gear. The adventure intensity scales to match the number of players in your session. Protect yourself and your friends. Beware the powers of darkness which can make your friends become infected with lycanthropy or vampirism or become possessed.
- Immersive RPG style feel without a GM: With all the great games that have come before, immersive play often requires a Game Master, but in Folklore the Affliction, all the players cooperate as characters in the story! Everyone gets to play. The Narrative and intuitive creature AI challenges the players to use their gear and ingenuity to succeed or fail and ultimately steer the path of the adventure.
- Tactical miniature combat: During exploration, your characters will be challenged by their environment and engage in dangerous miniatures-based combat as well as non-miniatures based skirmishes. Characters battle in intuitive strategic combats and locales that require interaction even during combat. Who will hold off the Wraith in combat while another character races to the sarcophagus to close the lid? Will you choose to pull a lever while battling an undead horde in order to trap the rest of their forces behind a portcullis?
- Character development: Choose your character’s focus and profession, gear them up for adventure and combat, and customize then the way you choose by assigning advancement points and purchasing abilities and items.
- Immersive storylines: Each game session is like playing through a dark fantasy/horror novel or movie. The narrative immerses the players as they make game-changing choices and interactions that can alter the course of the storyline and determine the outcome and the path toward victory.
- Campaign style play: Completing a story is not the end. Advance your characters, gain weapons, artifacts, companions, and abilities and bring them into the next story with all their gear. Customize each character your way as they advance by spending points in the skills and abilities you choose.
- Death is only the beginning: If you have a fatality, you are not out of the game, you instead play on as your ghost with ethereal ghostly powers to rise up against evil from beyond the veil.
- Find companions: Gain or hire the townsfolk and the animals in this hell-oppressed place and lead them into the darkness as you face the evils that threaten to devour you all.
Folklore the Affliction is a dark fantasy role playing board game for 1-5 players that does not require a game master. Adventure in a land steeped in fear, myth and superstition. Hunt or be hunted by creatures of antiquity and legend. Explore dangerous locales to find clues to the sources of evil sinking claws into the heart of the land, and decimating the populace. Defend the weak from the scourge of witchcraft and the demonic, the taint of lycanthropy and vampirism. Advance through highly immersive stories of epic scale with multi-layer character development in an on-going quest to drive the darkness back into the hell from which it came.
There are many people that have embarked together on this quest to aide in the development of Folklore:The Affliction. Here are a few:
- Adam & Brady Sadler, designers of Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition and Warhammer Quest: the Adventure Card Game, have joined the team and are co-developing Folklore: The Affliction. Their experience and professionalism has taken the development of Folklore: The Affliction to new heights.
- Jason Engle, is the artist behind Folklore: The Affliction and is responsible for bringing the depth and style that makes it such an artistically immersive game. No stranger to the fantasy realm, he has been creating and publishing his work for the past 16 years. He is easily recognizable by his art pieces for Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Legend of the Five Rings, Pathfinder, and is the artist guest of honor from PaizoCon 2015. His talents bring the Folklore characters and cartography to life. See more of his work at jaestudio.com.
- Ed Greenwood. In between game sessions you can continue your adventures in Folklore: The Affliction by reading novels from Ed Greenwood and members of The Ed Greenwood Group’s Sessorium of Creatives. Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms® and a myriad of other worlds, universes, and shared settings and a New York Times best-selling author of literally thousands of works that have sold over a quarter billion units (250,000,000) in a dazzling array of formats in over 40 languages in more than 120 countries.
Working with the creative leads at Twin Fire Productions, Ed Greenwood is overseeing a series of almost 40 novels that will begin with his own Folklore tale: The Whispering Skull (December, 2016). This creative partnership will also be working together to create Quickblade role playing game adventures based in the Folklore setting giving fans a whole new way to explore and enjoy Folklore: The Affliction!
Once the heroes reach a site of interest, the game shifts into a miniatures-based dungeon crawl with map boards revealing those dark places where only the brave or insane would venture. Each character is able to interact with the tactical adventure maps, use their equipment, skills and weaponry to do combat with beautifully sculpted creature and Affliction miniatures.
If your character dies in Folklore: The Affliction, it is not the end. You continue play as your character’s spirit! Ghost characters can fight with the strength of the spirit and duel otherworldly foes. The town physician can bring you back to life. That is, unless your spirit has gone to Limbo…only the gypsies can help you then, for a price! Characters who pass into Limbo, a place beyond the ghostly realms, return to life with a tarot card which dictates their destiny.
- “There have been a lot of games that have tried to give an RPG experience in a boardgame format. I have played a lot of them. I finally found one that does it with Folklore.” – Lance Myxter, Undead Viking Videos
- “If you are looking for a really EPIC experience that is incredibly ambitious, this is really one you’re going to want to check out.” – Forrest Bower, Bower’s Game Corner
- “The best way to describe Folklore: The Affliction is as a meld between modern dungeon-crawling board games, like Descent, and classic Dungeons & Dragons role playing adventures.” – The League of Nonsensical Gamers
- “When I saw Folklore: The Affliction at Origins in 2014, I could tell that it was special” – Keith Schleicher, The Gaming Trend
Each character has their own skills and sets of unique abilities to acquire and master in their rise towards dominance in the war against evil. Each character is distinct in role and depth with unique customization and endless re-playability. Folklore is as much about character development, as it is about dark and gritty exploration and combat.
- The Witch Hunter: A fanatical bounty hunter sworn to rid the land of evil magics. He is a tracker and a marksman with the crossbow.
- The Telepath: A talented mentalist who can access unique and powerful abilities. She can crush the brain matter of her foes and throw enemies with the power of her mind.
- The Avenging Madman: A revenge-driven farmer whose family was slaughtered by otherworldly forces. Vengeance is his only remaining purpose and rage is his weapon!
- The Arcanist: A seeker of lost knowledge. Her understanding of the occult is peerless and she is able to harness the power of rituals.
- The Archeologist: A world-traveler and scholar seeking knowledge of things ancient and mystical. He carries a whip that can hinder his foes.
- The Exorcist: A priest sent to rid the land of evil. Formidable and feared by the followers of darkness, he is armed with a connection to the divine and has access to prayers.
- Folklore: The Affliction (Kickstarter)
Face your fear, bring your faith, fight your nightmares! Build your character and embark on a dark fantasy RPG board game adventure.kickstarter.com.
- Twin Fire Games (Twitter)
Twitter account from the creators of Folklore. twitter.com.
- Twin Fire Games (Facebook)
Facebook account from the creators of Folklore. facebook.com.
- Official Press Page
Everything you need to write an article about our games. press.greenbriergames.com.